Sunday, October 16, 2011

Vampire Sestina by Neil Gaiman



I wait here at the boundaries of dream,
All shadow-wrapped.  The dark air tastes of night,
So cold and crisp, and I wait for my love.
The moon has bleached the color from her stone.
She'll come, and then we'll stalk this pretty world
Alive to darkness and the tang of blood.

It is a lonely game, the quest for blood.
But still, a body's got the right to dream
And I'd not give it up for all the world.
The moon has leeched the darkness from the night.
I stand in the shadows, staring at her stone:
Undead, my lover... O, undead my love?

I dreamt you while I slept today and love
Meant more to me than life - meant more than blood.
The sunlight sought me, deep beneath my stone,
More dead than my corpse but still a-dream
Until I woke as vapor into the night
And sunset forced me out into the world.

For many centuries I've walked the world
Dispensing something that resembled love - 
A stolen kiss, then back into the night
Contented by the life and by the blood.
And come the morning I was just a dream,
Cold body chilling underneath a stone.

I said I would not hurt you. Am I stone
To leave you prey to time and to the world?
I offered you a truth beyond your dreams
While all you had to offer was your love.
I told you not to worry and that blood
Tastes sweeter on the wing and late at night.

Sometimes my lovers rise to walk the night...
Sometimes they lie, cold corpse beneath the stone,
And never know the joys of bed and blood,
Of walking through the shadows of the world;
Instead they rot to maggots. O my love
They whispered you had risen, in my dream.

I've waited by your stone for half the night
But you won't leave your dream to hunt for blood.
Good night, my love. I offered you the world.


I thought I lost my copy of this poem. This is my first look of Neil Gaiman's world - dark, magical, mysterious, twisted, out-of-the-box, yet full of life and heavy with emotions that sure pierce the readers' hearts. :)

If you guys didn't notice, the poem is actually composed of six six-line stanzas that ends with six words found at the end of each line - dream, night, love, stone, world, blood - and a three-line last stanza (tercet) that groups those six words into three.  Also, the first six stanzas kinda form a loop with the last word of the last line being the last word of the first line of the next stanza. Get it? :) I've highlighted the words in red font color to easily understand what I mean. For more information regarding a sestina poem, click here. :)

I got to know him from my Literature tutor from my last summer classes at ADMU. He was then teaching us some poetry writing styles, I think. Since I read Gaiman's Snow, Glass, Apples I wanted to read more of his works. Unfortunately, I haven't started collecting his works yet. XD

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this, I just heard reading by the author of it on the bbc ad I'm glad I found the words!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this as though its silas, from the graveyard book, right before Bod arrives in the graveyard.

    ReplyDelete